Tuesday 26 March 2013

All very interesting this instrument cluster stuff.

I have done some work on clusters so was somewhat prepared going into this work in progress  Soldering the wires onto each copper trace worked out, but there was some "hacking" around getting it back on the cluster.

The clip (my term) that the 14 contact connector fits into, had to be cleared of some material to slip over the added thickness due to solder joints and glue. It fits, but as I worked on it (VERY carefully) I noticed the glue was breaking free allowing the traces to lift a little so I dded more "Goop"  It's curing under a work light as I write. Hopefully none of the Goop has gotten between the cluster and clip. That could make ribbon removal impossible.

As for the connector, I'd tossed all my PC stuff years ago, so had no DB type cables to play with. RP Electronics has this plug but no socket. Glad I called and asked! So back to good old Pico. Ended up buying 2 of these. The #18 isn't that much bigger than the #20 wires I soldered to the cluster traces, and dimensionally, the parts aren't that big. Sure, there isn't one easy connector, but, they're sturdy and should last a life time.

The bottom line though, as was inferred to me by a Vanagon friend, is that the cluster ribbon etc. can only be repaired so many times. The average DIY type enthusiast will see himself removing and installing the cluster at least a few times. This might well be more than VW ever intended Add to that the age of the parts, and, well, you know.   ;)  

My repair should work but I now know that a more permanent repair (i.e. a custom harness etc. or a modified more modern cluster), is the ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment