Friday 22 March 2013

I'm a lucky guy!

Some good weather allowed me to finish the canvas install. .... at 9:00 PM last night! All in all, it turned out ok.   (note; don't use black dum dum. See pic. See why?)

Today before delving back into my '81, spent some time at KMS tools then went to White & Peter to pick up a pint "Uno" LH5V (Slate Blue) for my '88. This "Uno" brand of BASF is their higher end paint. The chip looked almost identical. Like a WAY closer match than the Limco Supreme. Was going to get the slider door cover scanned but the girls there brought out this chip and I was sold. I'm really hoping it isn't darker like the Limco Supreme "Slate Blue" was. The Limco was mixed using the factory code as was the Uno. We'll see.

Yesterday, started with another application of staples then the metal strip install. Since the rear portion was shorter than my old canvas, I started at the rear strip then worked forward. An awl really helped. IIRC, the centre "cut" on the new canvas lined up closely to the centre screw.

The forward vertical seam at driver side looked like it would end up short of the old seam mark. I pulled (gently) on canvas as I went along screwing. IIRC this seam indeed ended up short of the mark I made on the body. Regardless, I had to make a small awkward fold (nibbled corner at 3 points) to compensate for extra fabric. The canvas looks "ok" but the front portion is "looser" than the sides which are nice and tight. Regardless of my gentle pulling, I have to wonder if the front isn't a little too long. This is one thing I didn't measure against my old canvas.

What helped me with install. This was for a "German" canvas:

- at rear, supported canvas bottom out of the way when stapling. Sounds "trailer park" but I used Gorilla duct tape to hold bottom hem to poptop.

- tack stapled short sections (every 1'  ?) horizontally at hem, then stapled strip. This was made easier since I marked where old hem was.

- heated strips (it's still a little cold here)

- for me, an electric "Sure Shot" stapler helped but was just as useless when the plastic strips were cold. Lot's of time wasted pulling staples. Maybe chisel point  staples would've helped?

- removed all crap staples. Thought they might rub or tear fabric.

- marked old tent position relative to body and wood frame and hem of old tent to wood frame.

- Copied corner notches from old canvas to piece of paper. Used as general reference.

- when transferring marks to new canvas, used Gorilla tape to "mark" new canvas. It didn't leave behind any glue.

- awl to start hole in lower hem and line up to screw hole

- didn't buy a new one, but a head lamp might really help when working in rear

The lip of new flat seal still doesn't seat flat against the luggage rack. Not sure why. Adjusted the top latch which helped seat the top lower at front.

Today quality time was spent resealing the bolts for the top latch and pop top arms, installing headliner, new hatch struts (ya!)

Sure is nice having a freshly painted top et al.

Just need to get one terminal crimped on and new battery + fridge should be up and running.

I'm sure there's lots of other stuff I've done. Just can't recall it all right now!

New group 27 deep cycle. Isolator mounted in engine bay. Wood divider left low to help ventilation, but it may be too low. It is really well braced though.



Quick and dirty shot right after I finished.




No comments:

Post a Comment