Saturday 30 March 2013

Let the sneezing begin!

Yup. It has Sprung.

Sawdust created by my foray into high level woodwork does not help.

Almost done making a drawer, from scratch, for the space above the new fridge. This is my first time making a drawer. Not sure how, but the parts are almost square to each other. I will deploy some kind of caulking for the 1/4" gaps. In my haste to make purchases before the hardware store closed, ended up with tiny brad nails. Inserting these with a hammer proved to be time consuming.

The drawer face is intended to compliment the OEM materials. Went crazy with money and bought a 3.5' length of 1/2"x5" Douglas Fir. The box is old plywood scraps. It will be painted or lined. (can I gold plate it?). Front grain is tighter than the surrounding Pinto-Wagon-like "wood grain", but whatever. The front will be stained, possibly with beer. Latch to be determined. Was going to steal the latch from the Dometic fridge door but that seems a waste.

All this took some time. But. Wasn't going to leave town on the Easter long weekend, so I took on the project.

My first thought on filling the drawer was "tools". We'll see. Maybe I'll leave it empty and when gathered with like minded Westy folks, just open and close it verbally speculating with "what should I put in here?" and gloating about how much space I have traveling as a single person.

Picked up my bass trombone for the first time in 2 months. This time off showed in the form of a weak embouchure and sketchy articulation. And I want to take this audition? Ha! (well I have to actually APPLY first.  ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment